Pets and Halloween

Pets and Halloween

Don’t let Halloween play a trick on your pet.

Watch out for sugary treats and loud noises, such as fireworks.

As much we enjoy eating sugary treats for Halloween, they shouldn’t be fed to dogs and pets. Certain sugars, like those found in sweets, can be harmful to dogs just like it is to people. From tummy troubles to obesity, here are the reasons why your dog shouldn’t have sugar:

Upset Stomach – If you want to avoid having to clean up vomit or diarrhoea, it’s probably best to avoid giving your dog sugar. In the short term, a sugary treat can lead to an upset stomach.

Toxicity – Both chocolate and the artificial sweetener xylitol—found in many sugar-free candies—can be toxic to dogs.

Cavities – Another downside of consuming too much sugar? Dental caries or cavities. The problem with sugar is that bacteria in the mouth use it to produce acids.  Acids increase the loss of minerals in the enamel or the outer coating of the teeth, leading to dental disease.

Obesity is also a sadly growing problem in pets, and sugar intake by pets can lead to weight gain and other harmful conditions, so it’s a good idea not to even risk a little sugary treat for Halloween so you don’t get into the habit of it with your pet.

Fireworks and Pets

Halloween can be a very scary time of year for pets with all the loud noises and fireworks. If your pet gets very distresses over fireworks, talk to your vet about what can be done.

Clondalkin Vet is a stockist of Adaptil and Feliway products to help your pet stay relaxed and feel safe over loud noises. This great veterinarian range has many options to suit every pet: from Collars to plug-in diffusers to tablets; we will guide you through all the options available. We can also offer some great advice to help you get through Halloween night so everyone can relax and enjoy it, such as creating a little cosy & safe den for your pet.

Pin It on Pinterest